View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Janquiltz

Originally Posted by fixfido
Adorable! They look exactly like full-sized quilts!
Thanks. They are suppose to look like full size quilts except for their ration of reduction to a full-size quilt.

3-4" blocks are the normal block size for a miniature. The ratio is 1 to 4, so if a block pattern used in a full-sized quilt is 12" then to reproduce that quilt, your block sizes would be 3". Overall max dimensions 96" or no larger than 24" x 24". Making authentic miniature doll house quilts size-wise is something different. I wouldn't do a pieced doll-house size miniature, but might consider doing a whole cloth or appliqued.

Just as an aside note:

I am not sure if my landscape quilt or Autumn Memories art quilt could be considered miniature - yes, they meet the overall dimension requirements, but have not been able to find out how to determine the "block" ratio requirements as they don't have blocks. You can have a quilt with pieced blocks (example - 6" blocks in a 4 x 4 setting and it would not be a miniature but would be considered a "small quilt". Perhaps someone out there has more current information. I haven't been in my miniature quilt club for several years to be aware of any new published guidelines.