View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 01:47 PM
live2teach

I have also been helping my grandma sew again. This is a woman who used to spend her days sewing and quilting making gorgeous quilts out of next to nothing..or so it seemed. I used to think I'd love to be able to sew and quilt like her someday. She was the one who taught me to sew, propped me right up on her lap and let me take the reigns...lol
My grandma has Alzheimer's disease, she is in the Dimentia stage right now and progressing at a steady rate, even though she is on medicine. She hasn't sewn, let alone quilted for years because she isn't able. Her short term memory is gone, she can seldom remember things that recently happened but usually she can't. I spend Monday afternoon and evening with her and within 3 hours after leaving, she didn't even remember I was there. However, about an hour after that she did remember I was there. So, you never know with her. The whole point of telling this story was to say that I am teaching her to sew again. I took old clothes down to make a scarecrow to stuff with leaves. It just has minimal sewing, but it is sewing. We sewed the legs and sleeves and button holes shut. Then, we made the scarecrow head (it looks more like a snowman b/c it is white, but we're working on that...lol). Then we sewed the buttons on for the eyes and sewed the head and neck to the shirt. Grandma really enjoyed this. We aren't quite done yet, so when we are, I'll post pictures of him. Grandma kept saying oh, Heather, it's been years since I've sewn. I really appreciate you taking the time do this for me.
I never thought that I would be helping her relearn to sew...the woman who made me the sewer and quilter I am today....