Old 03-16-2011, 03:42 AM
cabbagepatchkid

Originally Posted by Sew Cindy
I have a question I have been trying to find an answer to but haven't seen a site that addresses it directly.
I have been looking at lots of sites that have older machines for sale. They post the model number often a 2 letter prefix followed by numbers. However, when I look the Singer site it only tells you the age by using the model number. I often see posts talking about a (I will use the word 'name" to distiguish from model number) 66-1, a 99, 201, 211, but none of these seem to correspond to the model number. How do I locate the name with a model number? Or have I just not seen enough model numbers that those 'names' I was talking about will show up. Interested to see how to crack this egg.
Hi Cindy. The number with the letter prefix is the 'serial number' and the 'type of machine' is the 'model number'...66-1, 99, etc.
Each sewing machine has it's own serial number that identifies that particular machine. Maybe 50,000 of that type (model) of machine were made on any particular day or week and each one is tagged with it's own serial number.
I hope this clears it up for you :-D