Old 03-16-2011, 05:33 AM
ginnie6

My Grannie taught me to sew clothes. The bug never really bit me though you know? I mean I could do it but I could also just not do it. Then when my youngest girls were babies I started making cloth diapers.....I made diapers for hours on end. They had the cutest tushies! The ladies in the church nursery would grab them as soon as we walked in the door to see what kind of diaper they had on that week. Then the boys came along and I got to make boy diapers! That kept me busy for quite a few years. Then came the realization that my youngest was ready to potty train and there were going to be no more babies! I gave my diapers to a new mom who was thrilled. I still didn't have that urge to make clothes so my machine was put away....brought out to repair a seam or make the occasional skirt. Then I discovered quilting! It was love at first try! Now not only is the machine kept out all the time it has friends! I dream about quilting...if I go a day without it I feel sad. I joined the local guild...and even though i don't know anyone (and am very much a person who likes staying in my comfort zone) I am excited on guild days! and now I feel that addiction spreading its wings.......I remember vaguely learning to crochet when I was about 9. My Grannie and I made granny squares....I'm watching youtube videos trying to get the hang of it. I now have crochet needles and thread...oooh and tatting! That looks so neat! never mind that doilies have never appealed to me before...I now want one to set under a special oil lamp I have and I want tiny ones for spool pin pads on my vintage machines. I've tried knitting....I can do it but the visions I had of drawers full of knitted socks is NOT gonna happen.....still I may eventually get everyone a scarf made. Dh just looks patiently on while wondering how far into this I will sink......I caught him looking at 12 step programs the other day! I told him he just needs to send me on a retreat..that it was like a pysch ward for quilters! lol!