Thread: SELLING QUILTS?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 09:50 AM
ptquilts

women's work is traditionally undervalued because so many women WILL do it for free. Think of afghans, very tough to sell because every one has an aunt or granny who will make one for little money.

I started quilting in the late 1970's when there were not a lot of people making quilts, and the imports had not flooded the market yet. I had no trouble selling my quilts. I dealt with two different stores in one small town, most of their business was quilts, and they were either tied or hand quilted.

When the Chinese quilts started coming in it was a different story. Not only could people get a handmade quilt for cheap $$ but the cheap prices created the impression that the value was really that low. (Of course the quality was down there in the basement with the price).

Over the years I have had several good customers who did not mind paying $500 to $1000 or more for a handquilted quilt. Not enough of them though..

When I did craft shows some of my best sales were to men. They did not seem to have a problem paying the price.

When people do have a problem with the price, I just say, "You should go to Kmart, I'm sure you will find something you like there."