View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 11:49 AM
kedougou

I am a relative newcomer to the quilting world. Mostly self-taught, with lots of help from these wonderful boards. I have several 9 block baby quilts under my belt, one twin celtic knot quilt (that is realy bad, but its mine and I love it anyway!), and one log cabin lap quilt. (I also have a scrappy double hourglass lap quilt WIP.) I had a monster of a time FMQ the twin on my mashine, so I am thinking about a "quilt as you go" for my next large project. I found several tutorials online, so I think I can find a method I works for me with some playing around.
My question....what patterns would work well with this method? I like more geometric patterens and I want this to be a spring/summer light weight quilt. This may be a good opportunity to do a "sampler" quilt to practice my skills. Any suggestions?

ohh, one more question.... If I do a sampler would it be better to use the same 3 or 4 fabrics in all the blocks to unite the different patters? I am afraid a scrappy sampler would become to busy. (My mother and I recieved my Grandmothers stash, which included tons of scraps that I like to use for practice")