Thread: SELLING QUILTS?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Birdena

That's what I would do, send the money back. She obviously doesnt want to or cant afford to have it made. I had a neighbor ask me to do a photo quilt for her step mother. Sort of same deal wanted her to know up front how much for the size she wanted. She got back to me right away and said she wasnt willing to spend that much so we talked it over and I made her a smaller one on the agreed on price of $250. She didn't bat an eye, gave me halft right there and half when finished.
Originally Posted by JudeWill
Originally Posted by Sophie2
I just makes sure we agree on a price before starting. Learned my lesson by not telling the cost before hand.
The only quilts I have made so far are photo quilts for my grandchildren's graduations. They are 2-sided with emproidered quotes on them and a lot of fancy stitching. I get huge compliments on them, but never planned on selling them. Then my DSL asked me if I would consider making one for her step-daughter's grad. I told her up front how much it would cost. I quoted her the price of fabric & $12 an hr. I said that a lot of people would think that is too much, but that I figure my time is worth that much and if she doesn't want to pay that much I understand. I said I wanted everything understood up front so there are no misunderstandings. I told her I would not charge for the time doing the machine embroidery. She talked it over with her husband and we decided on a one-sided quilt, which would cut the cost and she said they thought it would be totally worth it. This all took place last fall or maybe before. She was supposed to send me the pictures and the quotes from family members she wanted on it. She sent me a few quotes and then nothing. Kept giving me excuses for not sending them. Oh, she gave me money right away for the fabric and we picked it out. I ordered it and have it cut and ready to go. Anyway, I finally called her (abt. 2 months ago) to see what is up. I said if they have decided it is just too expensive and they don't want to do it, no hard feelings, I understand. I told her if they do want to it and need to pay me a little at a time, that's fine, as long as I get what I asked. She said fine, they do still want to do it and would send me the pics, etc. I have not heard a word since. I'm sorry this is so long, but I would really like your take on this situation. I'm thinking I will just send her money back, use the fabric for something else. Would love to know what you all think.