Old 02-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilting G
Prism99
The blocks are not pulling apart the seam fabric in the seam allowance seems to shed as I am working with the quilt. Like when I am stiching the blocks together.
Oh! That is a completely different problem! Starching would probably help, especially if you starch heavily (50:50 solution of Sta-Flo and water).

Is the fabric inexpensive or not all cotton? Unravelling is usually not a problem unless the fabric is very loosely woven (inexpensive) or has a high polyester content. Certain types of weave will ravel more too; I think denim is one of those, and also flannel.

If the problem is loosely woven cottons, prewashing the fabrics and starching would likely help a lot. The prewashing (and drying in a hot dryer) would shrink the weave so the strands are interlocked more tightly and the starch acts like glue to keep them together.

Someone else mentioned bias edges, but bias edges actually don't ravel; it is straight-of-grain edges that ravel. If you have the option of cutting on the bias, that could cut down on the ravelling; unfortunately, you then have introduced a potential problem with stretching.