View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 05:54 AM
BKrenning

Mine is setup all the time at 10'. My previous frame was at 12' and this one will be also when we can figure out how to get 12' poles for it--different rail system than my old one had.

Anyway, it did take several room re-arrangements to get a 12' frame into a large bedroom and have it accessible from at least 3 sides. I had it katty-corner at first but eventually cleared out enough other stuff to get it along a wall but with enough space behind it to get back there. My first frame was originally setup in a smaller bedroom and it did not have room behind it but I never quilted from the back side when I first started anyway so it was ok.

It all depends on what kind of quilting you plan to do, what size quilts, and what kind of toys you add to the mix. I added a PC Quilter which needed access to the backside of the frame. A newer style of PC Quilter does not need to be accessed from the back. I also find it easier to load a quilt onto the takeup roller from the back but I can do it from the front if necessary. Also, if you plan to do pantographs many frames are only able to follow those by quilting from the back. Some people have figured out ways to do it from the front but on the smaller frames, the only way is to do it from the back.

I wouldn't take mine up & down but then I have a 75 pound Voyager mid-arm sitting on it. It's too much trouble to setup a large frame but with a smaller setup it should be easier but if you mainly do bed sized quilts like me, a small setup won't work for you.