Thread: batiks fabric ?
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 10:42 AM
SueSew

Originally Posted by blossom808
HI All,

I boughts some batiks fabric with lots of different colors in them. Now that I have them home I see that they really dont go together. I am wondering if you can mix batiks fabric with other fabric that is not batiks ? I heard if you use batiks fabric you should stay with that fabric threw the project. Thanks Blossom
Hi Blossom - I posted about this very thing last week because I am a beginner and I just fell in love with batik (must be my 1960's past catching up with me LOL) and everyone said that batiks - great for stained-glass and bargellos - can very well be mixed in with other fabrics if it looks good to you.

I am trying it with a baby girl's quilt now, and I think that the criteria are how many colors are in the average batik piece, if the batik has a clearly defined "print" either dark on light or light on dark, and if it is right next to something which is all crispy-clear and way detailed. Also, if the batik is a 'feature' piece in an otherwise standard screen print fabric, or visa versa.

I think it is a shock to the system to have two fabrics produced by very different methods bump up on each other, but if they are a bit apart, it doesn't really bother me - however, my own design sense is very insecure so I tend to be conservative!

Good luck when you try it and please post a picture!