Old 03-17-2011, 10:57 AM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by greaterexp
I got my Red Eye Singer treadle for $40, which was a good deal. I didn't know a thing about them then, and still don't know much! I'd see if I can find any info on the internet about that brand. The good thing about most of those old machines is that there are few parts to wear out. It will probably need a good cleaning, inside and out. Mine needed a new belt, which I found on eBay for just a few dollars. I looked at Billy's (Lostn51) tutorial on cleaning, and found a manual online to figure out how to take it apart and where to oil it. It sews like a dream now. I would PM Billy to get his input. I think I would offer them less than they're asking, depending on how much work it will take to clean, refinish, or repair.
I suggest that for those just wanting their first treadle to find a Singer 66, or 15-89/90 since the parts are easy to find and the needle used for these machine are the standard 15x1. These machines are easy to used, easy to self service and maintain, and are great workhorses that sew through almost anything. Great for hemming jeans too. If you want a machine for quilting they are great for this too. Just start with straight stitch quilting. For FM quilting the 15-89/90 are better than the 66s. And if you ever see a 201 in a treadle, buy it! My favorite machine for sewing clothes and quilt piecing is my 201 in a treadle. I love that machine!