View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 05:19 PM
countrycottage

It was actually very easy. I iron the fabric for each piece onto wonder under, then cut out the shape. After that it's just a process of layering and arranging the pieces, and ironing them onto the backing; I use muslin for the backing. Then I use a machine blanket stitch aroung the different pieces and randomly quilt inside the larger pieces. I used iron on batting which made the quilting process easier and prevented bunching. I use a wrapping method of backing, cutting the backing larger than the piece, then wrapping it around to the front to frame the piece. This works well for wall hangings and small projects.
The cabin applique came from Holloway's Country Home, a wonderful quilt shop in Cosby, TN, 20 miles from Gatlinburg, and in the shadows of the Great Smoky Mountains. She had a kit for a similar hanging, but I just bought the cabin and freehanded my background. The next one I am planning is a view of the house my Grandparents lived in when I was a child. With the iron on photo fabric, you can put any photo you desire into a piece.