View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 04:48 AM
fireworkslover

Originally Posted by Suzi
I have just folded fabric #5 up to put away for another day --- I can't find anything with a repeat that is in line with the following repeat and I'm about ready to chuck the whole idea of a OBW. This is something that I really want to try and I'm so frustrated I could scream. Is it me or do I have wonky fabric? I'm going to post a pic of the only one I have that looks to line up properly so would someone please tell me where the repeats are and which way I'm supposed to cut them - or even if this fabric would be suitabe for a OBW. Second part of the question: is it common to have the design printed on fabric off kilter? I'm finding this more and more and it doesn't make me happy!
Look along one selvage to find where the print repeats, put a pin in that spot, then go down the same side and find that same spot again and put in a pin, etc. Do this until you have 6 sections. Make sure your ruler is at 90 degrees to the selvage when you cut all the way across to the other selvage. These sections will get stacked on top of each other and perfectly lined up with pins - how Maxine Rosenthal explains. When you cut your strips they will be cut crosswise on the fabric - so from selvage to selvage. Then these strips get cut into triangles.

I'm hoping this paisley print is not printed crooked on the fabric - I'm interested in seeing how it turns out in a OBW.

After looking again at your fabric, if you look on the right side there a large green petaled flower towards the top, look down and at the bottom that same flower appears again. That's your repeat length. Perhaps 20 some inches?