View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 05:47 AM
haylillan

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
So I have been working on quilts for my kids and a couple kids that my sister wanted to give quilts too. I was making two zig zag quilts at the same time. Got both tops done and because I am using cuddle plush fabric as the backing and didn't want a bunch of quilting on the plush material I always quilt the top to the batting, then wash and dry it, then quilt a line through each zig zag to the backing. Works PERFECT doing
it this way because I don't prewash my fabric or batting so everything shrinks at the same time prior to attaching the plush which is polyester which we all know won't shrink. Well. I basted both tops to batting yesterday and got the one quilted, then last night started on the second one. I finished it up this morning and tossed it in the washer. I need to have it done by saturday for my sons birthday. Not a big deal I have plenty of time to get it finshed. UNTIL....I pull it out of the washer and realize OH MY GOD. I quilted with the scrim side of the batting next to the top instead of out! thus leaving only a layer of scrim on my quilt top and batting in the seams! I am heading to joann's this evening to buy 4 yards of fabric to start over! My sister will take the quilt with scrim and remove all the stitches and I'll just use it for a gift quilt at a later date! I don't think Zach will be getting his quilt for his birthday. Maybe a belated birthday gift!

So if anyone has read my posts before about quilting the top to the batting and adding the plush backing after. Always make sure you are quilting with the scrim side OUT! Next time I will make sure to take my own advice!
how do you tell the difference have only used cotton batt. once