View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 09:20 AM
3TreeFrog

Originally Posted by milp04
I would have to cut the circles one by one.

Someone may have one of the circle cutters that may cut more than one layer but I have no personal experience or knowledge to comment.

As for cutting other shapes they are easiest when cutting along a straight edge of a ruler. I do not cut through more than 4 layers at the most and only with a new rotary blade. I like the accuracy from cutting through only 2 layers of fabric, but that's just me.

As a side note to the circles, there are several methods of sewing circles. One is to iron around a circle pattern of cardboard, etc. to help set the circle pattern in the fabric. The other is to back applique to the project. This method can be researched and googled. There may be a thread here at the QB.

If you have the pattern of the circle in cardboard, etc. or pressing mylar, you can iron around the circle then trim to have approximately 1/4 inch of seam allowance. This way you can cut squares (much easier) then trim down. Look for the subject of Perfect Circles as you research.

The other idea is to use yo-yo's for the circles. They make a quilt project very cute, especially when using different patterned fabrics for the scrappy look. This seen used a lot in 30's fabrics and patterns.

Good luck with your quilt for your niece and please keep us updated as your progress with your project, with pictures if possible.

Pam M
Pam
Thank you, I will look into every option. I like the yoyo idea!
Thanks!

TreeFrog