Old 03-18-2011, 09:29 AM
emmah

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by emmah
It's an epidemic! A month ago I had a nice clean living room, but now look at it. It is a machine shop and reeks of kerosene. The two treadles and the Singer 99 I got from a Craigslist ad in a remote PA location, cost $25 for all three. (All need some parts, but not too bad condition) The Singer 237 a friend picked up for $10. Needs a bobbin case. The Singer 27 I got on ebay cause it was cheaper than the parts if bought individually for the treadle, but even tho it is in rough shape, it is all there except for the shuttle. So I am sad to be robbing it to fix the other. Does anyone know of a source for vintage parts reasonably priced?
You did catch the sewing bug. Remember that you can set those treadles up in a U-shape for a sewing center with on chair that sits in the center. That is what I did and I love the arrangement. Have fun treadling!
Actually, I will probably keep one and see if any of my Amish neighbors can use the other one. We have a little colony of Amish who have moved here in upstate NY in recent years from PA cause the land down there is too $$$$ for them. I am very glad to have them take over the farms here. I guess its hard to convince young folks to work from sunup to sundown and lose money. (Mainly dairy farms here.)