View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Julianna

Originally Posted by Marge L.
Originally Posted by Judie
I hate to cook anymore.. I used to love to cook.. but I have cooked and cooked and cooked.. Now that it's only my hubby and me.. and he won't eat much of anything 'different', like almost all veggies, or casseroles.. there isn't much we haven't had a thousand times in 41 years.. I hate to shop, I hate to cook, and I hate to clean it all up while watching him eat a bowl of cereal because he didn't want to eat his supper.. then worst of all, I hate to throw anything away, so I end up eating it as leftovers for lunch... geeze, who signed me up for that?
Boy, does that sound familiar. When the kids were all home, I loved to cook. When they were all gone, I learned to hate it because it seemed no matter what I fixed, he didn't or wouldn't eat it. That's the way he was raised & seemed to think I'd fix him a separate meal. SUPRISE!!!!!. That's what his mom did & I was expected to do the same. Another suprise. One would think that after 60 yrs. he would have learned. Now I'm alone and fix me some of the things that I loved as a child. But things are not as good when you have to make such small amounts. Don't mind leftovers a time or two, but after that, ugh.
When we were first married DH would not eat so many foods I wondered how he survived college, Air Force, etc. His Mom would make special things for him, his sister, his dad. I would go through a dozen eggs in the morning til I got one fried just right for him.(Then I ate all the rest as I couldn't see food wasted...this was before I worried about cholesterol). I did this until our children came along and said I would not have them being such picky eaters. So I made nutritious meals and if he did not want to eat.......tough! I And he didn't! So I consented and made Italian meals and anything with tomato ingredients and all the other things we liked and he didn't when he was gone. Our kids learned to like many foods and both are good cooks for their families,especially our son who measures, marinades, times like hes in Chem Lab! DH is still very picky but has survived! When i was gone for 3 months he survived on his 4 food groups....beef sticks, candy bars, ice cream and beer.:)