Old 03-18-2011, 06:16 PM
gwena

I've been working on it with my regular Elna. However I have taken some LA classes on the APQ on one of the local quilt shops that would rent there's and I truly enjoyed it. I don't know if I would invest in a LA machine as its currently out of my price range for the number of quilts I produce each each year. I would love to be able to do this more effectively on a regular machine. I've been looking into an alternative between the cost of the long arm and a new regular machine that can do more than. I've tried the APQ, Gammill, PFaff, Hsuvagenna, HQ16, & Baby Lock. So far the Baby Lock beats them all within the price range I am looking for under $9000. I have to omit, I haven't tried them all like the Tin Lizzie, Nolting etc...I'm thinking for the number of quilts I do per year versus the cost of one of these machines, it may be best to farm this process out to one that does want a long arm rather than me purchasing one. I'd rather buy a new machine as mind is 40 years old and still going strong but could use some new updates.

If anyone has some alternate solutions for us ocassionaly long arm people and we can get the practice and feel of the process, let me know. I always try to free hand stipple on placemats, and smaller projects, I have done a large quilt on a regular machine but it takes patient and knowing how to regular your stitches. It
's nothing but PRACTICE, PRACTICE PRACTICE. But it is fun.
P.S...when I free motion I do not use the stitch regulator...however if I am stitching in the ditch. to complete a quilt ..I do use it.