Old 03-19-2011, 05:02 AM
laalaaquilter

Originally Posted by jitkaau
Originally Posted by dollycaswell
I'm visiting in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Ladies.....the quilting fabric here is about $21.00 per meter, which is only 3 inches more than a yard! That's the cheap fabric. The reproduction "Dutch prints" which are absolutely gorgeous are about $40-45.00 per meter! I honestly don't know how anyone here could afford to quilt. That's in US dollars, it's about 30 euros per meter or 13-15 euros per meter for the cheap fabric. Fat quarters are 7 euros which is about $10 for a fat quarter!! Be very, very grateful for our prices in the US. I can't wait to get home!
Similar prices to most parts that I have visited and live in. I have always been under the belief that the material is shipped cheaply to the U.S. from such places as Japan, then re-packaged and sold to the rest of us and that is why we have such high prices. If my assumption is wrong, I can easily take correction or information.
Unless the places you have lived have restrictions on who they can buy from (like folks in US can't buy Cuban cigars) then companies there are free to buy from the same suppliers that US companies do....