View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 06:13 AM
crashnquilt

I had a surgery that was taking me "out of commission" for a while. My husband suggested I take a quilting class. At first I didn't like the idea of cutting fabric into tiny scraps and putting them all back together. But, since I really needed something to occupy my mind and keep me stationary I decided to give it a try.

Found a local quilt shop that was having a class called Quilting 101. Right up my alley! I signed up, over the phone, bought the kit. The shop even had a machine for me to use for the class! Good thing because I wasn't able to carry my machine at the time.

I am an accomplished seamstress so sewing is not foreign to me. I used to make all of my family's clothing. Needless to say my eyes are always drawn to fabrics.

The day of my class was the first time ever for me to be in an actual quilt shop. I stepped in the door and my jaw hit the floor! WOW! So much beautiful, gorgeous fabric was everywhere! I couldn't open my eyes big enough to take in all the beauty! I literally stood in the doorway spellbound! This very sweet, YOUNG, girl came up to me and asked, "Are you Debbie?" "Yes, I am." "I'm so glad you came early! My name is Shawneen. I own the shop. I spoke with you on the phone. Let me help you to the class room and put down your things and then I'll show you around my shop." So, we did. We talked and she asked if I had ever sewn before so I told her of my past experience. She asked me if I would be interested in teaching garment making in the store. KEWL, I would love too. But that is another story.

Shawneen introduced me Ann, the teacher. Class wasn't due to start for another hour, so Ann and I had a wonderful chat before class.

Since I was on the disabled list, Ann did all of my cutting. But I was watching so close, quite often Ann had to move me back a bit. I was firing so many questions at Ann I was afraid she was going to kick me out of class. But she happily answered every question. I was so anxious to get started making that first block, my hands were shaking! When I finished that first block you would have thought I had made a wedding dress because I was so happy with myself. I was giggling like a little girl! Ann leaned over and said in my ear, "I regret to inform you but you are now addicted to making quilts."

I completed my class sampler. Ann was so proud of it she asked if she could use the sampler in her future classes! WOW, fine by me! But needless to say, I was really hooked!

Shawneen and I developed a beautiful friendship as well as a strong business relationship. I taught garment construction and Shawneen was my best student. Shawneen taught me more about quilting and I became her best customer!

Unfortunately, due to personal problems, Shawneen had to close her shop but we continue to be friends.

I saw Ann just a few weeks ago. She came to my house. We had coffee and few good laughs and wonderful conversation.

Well, that's my story and I'm stickin to it!