View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 06:30 AM
peggymunday

Originally Posted by ShirleyAnne
I haven't been on line since I first asked the question. Wow! I'd love to try that bag. Can you tell me what the pattern is? I'd like to try to find it.
Thanks so much for the pics. I think I could do that.
ShirleyAnne
Thank you. It's Butterick #B5109, view A. I altered it a bit by piecing the front and adding the pockets from the jacket on the front and back. The back was cut so that the pocket from the jacket fell in the middle of the pattern, and the front was re-stitched in place along with the flap. I wanted to combine the two fabrics on the outside, not just one for outside and one for lining/strap. The jackets' lining worked perfect for the lining for the purse, and if I had thought about it, probably would have re-used the lining pocket as well. As it is, I just made the pocket that's in it from the pattern. I added some trim and some topstitching (which is kinda hard to see in the photos) and there you have it. You'll enjoy the pattern. It's easy to make up and to alter if you choose. It's the blue purse on the pattern envelope in the picture, upper right pic. I chose not to use a solid piece of fabric and embellish it like they suggest. Also, the corduroy pants used for the front were stitched together eliminating the zipper area and it made the pockets close enough together to be usable on the front of the purse. That was another reason to piece the wool to the top of the corduroy, since it placed the corduroy too low in the pattern piece and needed more fabric at the top. Hope that made sense... lol. Just experiment to see what you like. Patterns are just a suggestion, not a steadfast rule.