View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 12:40 PM
stitchofclass2

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by stitchofclass2
I am making a quilt and wanted to miter the corners of an 8" border (with pieced squares and stripes). I cut the stripes to be mitered the exact size needed only to find out that I should have cut them 2" longer. Would it be too tacky to turn one side under (as a 45 degree angel) and top stitch it? Thanks for your help.
Good suggestions upthread.

However (there's always an however),
if you did, in fact, cut it the exact measurement - iow, the length of the sides of your quilt top plus 16 inches - you should have the exact amount you need, and not be short anything.

So I would question whether your border is correctly applied to the quilt, and that your miter is a PERFECT 45 degrees first before doing any more piecing.

Because you really shouldn't be short 2" if it was all done correctly. I'm not talking like the quilt police here, I'm just saying..... ;) ;)
Thank you for this remedy. I am feeling much better about this already. Have to travel tomorrow so won't be quilting for a couple of days. Will post a photo when complete. Thanks to everyone who is trying to help me. I so appreciate it. Yolanda