Old 03-19-2011, 03:52 PM
Favorite Fabrics

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by South MS Quilter
I prefer cut. In my opinion,when fabric is torn it distorts the fabric and I have to cut quite a bit off to get it straight. I think fabric shops should give customers an option.
A shop has to choose one way or the other, and then stick to it. Considering the backing we just received - which coming from the manufacturer had a cut end - I tore one of the bolts, just to see how off it was (or wasn't). I started 2" in from the edge, beginning at what looked to be the short side. The strip that came of varied from 2" to 6.5" wide. Subtracting the two numbers we get 1/8 yard of waste.

Now if I tear the next cut, the customer will get a square, on-grain piece. However... if instead I cut the next piece, I will have to throw in an extra 1/8 yard. And then if the customer after that wants their piece torn, I will be throwing in another 1/8 yard.

You can see how quickly this loss can add up for a shop! That's why a shop has to choose which way to go. And that's why I posted the question here, to see if there was any consensus as to whether cutting or tearing is the preferred method, for backings.