Old 03-19-2011, 04:27 PM
BKrenning

The only article I read recently about AT&T has to do with people who are using their cell phones as routers for their pc's internet service. That is called tethering & AT&T has a special plan for people that want to tether but many phones are easily hackable to tether without paying AT&T their extra fee so they are going to start charging people the tethering fee on their cell phone bill.

I pay for tethering so I have no issue with them enforcing their own rules. Hubby himself is guilty of using his iPhone to tether without paying AT&T the fee.

We are also in a semi-rural area so we have Wildblue satellite service--very similar to Hughesnet. There are also limits on satellite service and you have to find ways to live within the limits, upgrade your plan (pay more), or deal with them throttling your bandwidth until you're back under your limit.

We have dropped our landline down to the most basic service and will eventually drop it all together as we do get a fairly decent cell signal from AT&T, T-Mobile & Sprint but as for broadband internet--we'll have to move or the power company will have to get into the broadband business before it is available to us.