Old 03-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Gerbie

Originally Posted by milp04
Hi Gerbie,

It looks like it would be a great foot for sewing velvet.

Have you ever used the needle board for ironing?
Do you or how do you iron your velvet?

Are you planning on keeping your Bernina forever? I would think about getting the snap on foot. You can get a foot adapter package which takes any type of shank and adapts it, therefore allowing to use any snap on foot from any brand.

With the adapter you can use any of the snap on feet from Singer, Janome, Brother, Bernina, etc. I just love it. I has been the best investment I've ever made.

Pam M
I will probably keep my Bernina forever, or until one of us wears completely out. lol. Mine is a 930, I purchased it new in 1985, so you can see I've had her for a while. I have an adapter for using other feet, but I haven't used it. I bought it several years ago for some foot I ordered, can't remember now which one. Do you have a Bernina?
I don't know about the ironing, I have never really worked with velvet before. What is a needle ironing board? You'll have to inform this poor child, because I have never heard of that
before.
I purchased some beautiful velvet last year from in Carlsbad, N. Mex., and inherited so to speak a lot more, from a quilter in our town that passed away. She probably had more fab. than most local quilt shops. Anyway her mother in law who is our quilting group and the lady's husband brought 8 large garbage bags, and boxes full of fabric, and books (just out of her living room) for all of us to go through and take what we wanted the first time they brought some after Cathy passed away. This continued,with several bags and boxes over a period of several months when we had our meetings. The husband had built her a building on their place just for her fabric I have been told. The mother in law still brings boxes almost every meeting (once a month), she did so today. All of the fabric they have brought to our meetings was just left overs after her daughters and family picked what they wanted. Cathy has been gone now for at least 2 years. I probably have a good 15-20 yards of different colored velvet, I took to use for my crazy quilt when I ever get to do it.