Old 03-20-2011, 05:57 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by kwendt
I have a problem - I have a White 1505. I know it's not a vintage, but wonder if you could help me. I have the corner of the quilt I am putting the binding on, and my needle is stuck half way down. I can not get it to go up or down so the quilt corner is stuck under the needle. How do I get the needle to move so I can get the quilt out??
I have loosened the needle, the foot, taken the bobbin out. But still have the problem. Do I have to cut off the corner of the quilt to get it out????? Thanks for any info you can give me. KK
It also squeals when I sew - is there a belt inside that needs to be replaced??
I hate to say this, but a lot of the 'newer' machines just can't handle that much fabric. I don't know if your White if one of the better machines or one of the lower end Whites, but with those machines it is really easy to burn up the motor. I had a quilt camp here a few years ago for my granddaughter's. One of the girl's had a Brother given to her by her mother from Sears. Well, the little machine was ok if you planned on using it a couple times a year to mend something, but these girls made rag quilts, which is a lot of sewing through 6 layers - if we put a filler between the layers! We burned up that machine, and it was brand new! I went in the talk to Sears about it, this is before I learned about the machines, the guy in Sears said it was the bottom of the line and only meant to be a sometimes used, never really sewing with it, kind of machine! The motor was just not made to really use! I am not saying that is what you have, but people who buy these $100 machines from Walmart and KMart, etc., don't realize those machines are not meant for the serious sewer. Sorry if I offended anyone and I am not saying you have a machine like that, but beware if you do -- you are better off finding a vintage - it doesn't have to be really old, but atleast all metal so you can sew through several layers and use the newer machine for lighter work!

Nancy