Old 03-20-2011, 07:25 AM
Miz Johnny

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Wow, very pretty.... VM, That's a different type than the VS machines. Is that a transverse shuttle? I know little about the older shuttle mechanisms. If it is indeed the transverse, what are the pros and cons of this particular system?

(and oh... BTW.... thank you for the compliment on my current avatar pic of 40's dress pattern. lol) Yes, I love them too.
I don't know anything about this type of machine since I haven't taken an interest to research about them. Maybe Miz Johnny or someone else that owns one can fill you in. Just start with a google search.
I haven't been around much this weekend; this was our annual "sleepover" for some of my sewing machine friends. The posting for this machine is gone already, but I posted a picture last week of my "new" little Vesta, so am assuming it is the same thing.

The shuttle in a transverse machine travels in a straight line, rather than an arc like a vibrating shuttle. The shuttles are "boat" shaped, with one side open. I love sewing on them; they are very simple machines.

I love the old patterns, too--I have more than my share of them!!