View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 07:49 AM
Akes

I sstarted sewing in 4-H. I had one year then I took some sewing lessons at Singer in the city. Had 4 yrs home ec. I sewed for my little cousin and myself and then after I married I sewed for my children. Took lots of different classes, stretch & sew, under garments. It wasn't until I saw an embrodery machine and the store had a "club". Each month we would get together, she would introduce us to different techniques and offered a class on a wall hanging with a Christmas theme, candles, balls & flowers. Then I took a class where you use photos. I was soon ready to retire, started to watch Simply Quilts and saw a show about the Grandmother's Garden. I thought I could do that for on our bed. I purchased the templates, picked some of the fabric & started. That was in the spring of 2003. i went with my dil to adopt a baby in China. I took it along. I think I finished 1 1/2 rows. Talk about time consuming! It took me 6 years to finish it, that is just the top. It is big enough to cover a queen bed as a spred. I have it put away for now. There were weddings and babies that needed some gifts. The plan is to hand quilt it. I took some classes at a show so I could learn to quilt properly. My main problem in hand quilting is when I quilt away from me, my stitches are not as nice. I'm still working on it. Quilting some of the smaller items I sit with my DH while he is watching TV and old movies & use my lap quilting frame to do that quilting. Yes, quilting is addictive and very relaxing. I have done the other crafts, needle point, cross stitch, knitting, crocheting, etc. But this by far is the best!