View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 09:27 AM
RugosaB

I posted awhile ago about the quilt blocks I got 30 years ago, because my husband's grandma died. She had a bunch of Maple Leaf blocks hand stitched together, a chart of how she planned to lay them out on graph paper, and a few of them with the sashing stitched together. After everyone's comments, I agreed, this quilt deserved hand stitching. I'm not much of a handwork sewer, and came across the 'big stitch' method, and decided that's the way I was going to finish it, after machine stitching the remaining sashing on.
So I plan, and have probably half of them done, 'big stitching' around each leaf with #8 perle cotton, the same color as the lead in that block. I also have planned big stitching yellow in the sashing, again a little bit done.
My question is, does anyone think if I big stitched in an off white, in the leaf part of each block, it would look ok? The perle cotton I have to match the color of each leaf, does not match it exactly, and being that the OCD tendencies are near the surface, it would bother me to us it ON the leaf itself, so that is not the best option (I'm having enough trouble with the OCD stuff in accepting the unevenness of the big stitching as it is)

There is a lesson to be learned here: Do not die leaving unfinished WIP, because you never know #1 if it will be finished #2 if it is, when, it may be 30 years before it's even looked at #3 if the person finishing it will even do it in a way close to what you originally planned

blocks stitched together with sashing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]172389[/ATTACH]

my stitching added
[ATTACH=CONFIG]172390[/ATTACH]

What there was originally
[ATTACH=CONFIG]172391[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-172384.jpe   attachment-172385.jpe   attachment-172386.jpe