View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 10:16 AM
PatQuilts

In 4th or 5th grade (the middle of the 1960s) we were all required to bring one of our hobbies to school for show and tell. I decided to start sewing quilt blocks! My mom had quilted since she was 13 using her mother's treadle machine. For show and tell, I cut out a bunch of 4 or 5" blocks from feedsacks mom had saved from her childhoold -- creating created about 2 dozen 4-block patches. That treadle machine was the perfect speed for my early efforts.

I went on to learn how to sew clothes, etc. in 4-H and high school home economics classes. Even majored in home economics education but that early experience was the end of my quilting till about 15 years ago. My mom came to visit for a few weeks visit during a Christmas holiday in our brand new house and we partnered on a quilt that I later machine quilted. I had to find something for her to do. :lol:

In 2003, mom moved in with DH and I. Of course, her treadle machine came with her and many tubs full of fabric--including those dear feedsacks that she had not used for my childhood clothes or quilts. Over time, it became more and more difficult for mom to do certain parts of the process so I started to help her. I've just finished my first project--a wall hanging--all on my own.

Mom can no longer quilt and is now in a nearby nursing home. Remember those blocks I did more than 40 years ago? She had put the blocks together and tied them for a quilt. They are now on her nursing home bed as a little reminder of her love for quilting and how much I love her.

After all these years I have found the same passion for quilting. I especially love using those precious feedsacks, 30s quilt patterns and hand quilting like they did. Each time I take a stitch I think of mom and the grandmother I never got to know.