View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 10:52 AM
SaraSewing

Originally Posted by drgranny
My first quilt was log cabin. I made it about 35 yrs ago. It was king size. I couldn't get a king size batt here in town and I didn't want to go to the next big town to find one so I ordered a batt of poly from an upholstery company. I got it the next day and happily spread my quilt on the floor and started rolling my batt onto my quilt back. I got it all sandwiched and got it on my frame. I started hand quilting it and thought to myself, man, how do some of those ladys get 10 stitches to the inch. I was doing good to get 4. So I quilted and quilted and hit a spot where the batting was thinner and boy! I got 8 stitches to the inch. That is when I realized that there was a difference in batting. Well, I finished the quilt and it was so heavy I couldn't stand to sleep under it. I later found the waybill on that roll of batting and it weighed 15 pounds!!!
This story made me laugh! What a story. The visual image of this quilt is great. Do you still have this monster? Mistakes like this make us realize we all make mistakes.