View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 12:22 PM
pstoner

Originally Posted by Bluebonnet
I am new at quilting and am working on a shawl for a lady at work that is going through breast cancer treatments. I have cut all the pieces out and made one block so far. My question to you ladies n gents is this...do you sew a to b then add c and then d e f and so forth or do you grab all the a & b's and sew them together, iron then sew all the c's to the a/b's iron, then add all the rest. If that makes any sense at all! I am just curious how everyone does them. I have bee lurking and reading several times a day here and love seeing everyones quilts and seeing the quilting rooms.

Bobbi
Bobbi:

I first want to say bravo for making a quilt for someone with cancer, what a wonderful thing for you to do.

Now to answer your question, is not so simple as one would think. Some patterns require sewing one block at a time, while I have found others can be "chained" together to sew the blocks, I think others will agree. If you try to chain them and it works well, I see no reason not to, but as previously stated, sometimes it's just not possible. Do what works best for you.

Hope that makes sense.