Thread: SELLING QUILTS?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 01:44 PM
jpthequilter

Originally Posted by applique
Originally Posted by jpthequilter
Originally Posted by EverNow
Many posts so the topic has wide interest. I would like to ask quilters what they consider a fair price for a hand made quilt? Last year I sold a wall hanging for $50 but I knew it was worth much more. But she was an elderly lady and insisted the quilt was the perfect color for her sewing room. What do you think an ethical price for a hand quilt that can take up to 2 or 3 months? I've no clue.
A few years ago I paid 1100 dollars for a hand made pieced and hand made Queen quilt. I also have bought over time, three or four bed sized quilts that are machine pieced and machine quilted that the average price was $800, all but one are simple geometrics. (The one is a more complicated geometric). They were all very well made.
Anybody can spend lots of money for fabric and work hard on the quilt, but if it isn't well made, or the colorblends are not fantastic, it just is not going to be worth the same money!
I think I have paid fair prices for smaller quilts too.
DON'T PM ME ! I AM NOT BUYING ANY MORE! I WON'T ANSWER THEM! This is for your information only!

In fact I am also a quilter, and right now have no clue how to get fair prices for my own quilts!!!! ...In fact I am now only fabric shopping out of my own stash!
I have a full bedsized completely hand made mariners compass made with colorways of the same print that is 40 years old I would like to sell! Then I could buy somebody elses quilt!
I sometimes sell quilts at the museum on commission (60/40 split) and the price is set by a certified quilt appraiser.
Dear Debbie,
I lived in Woburn MA for about 3 years (and belonged to the North Parish guild in Redding) and have been to the museum in Lowell several times....is that where you mean?
But, Many Many Thanks for the idea! I live a little more than two hours from Houston....
Jeannie