Old 03-20-2011, 05:24 PM
SueSew

Originally Posted by nativetexan
that is like Pellon fusible fleece or other used in tote bags. not quilts. did the sales clerk say it was fusible batting for quilts or the label?
NativeTexan, you nailed it.

I read your other posts on the batting subject. Then I went to Joannes'. It was the June Tailor that I was using and I re-read the instructions. (Did I mention I threw out the bag before I realized I'd bought fusible?) I brought the samples I had done and asked the Joanne's employees, none of whom had a clue but all had an opinion. "Nice and stiff!"

I made a couple more samples up, got the material to stick by making sure I had plenty of steam, and gave it time to cool. It stuck! I flipped it and repeated the process. I made some decorative stitches on the samples.

Then for a comparison I took some regular poly low-loft batting - Soft n Crafty traditional polyfil 1/4" I bought at Joannes and did the same thing - without the gluing, of course.

I tossed them in the laundry as I got them done along with the rest of the clothes - warm/cool perm press, dry normal.

Voila! The weird stiff batting came out softer. Not as soft as the regular, but not like cardboard. Being stiffer, there wasn't as much of what my LQS calls the 'cottage cheese' look.

I don't think I will use it for this project as the cottage cheese hides a multitude of little cutting and piecing problems, but when I get better at this, I bet I'll like it a lot.

Thanks much and thanks to all for your support. This board is great.
Sue