View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 06:30 AM
grandma pepsi

Everybody has such wonderful and interesting stories. Hope you enjoy mine. When my mother passed away, I inherited 3 quilt tops. One of them is a 'Double Wedding Ring' which is large enough to cover a king size bed and still drape all the way to the floor. This top was pieced together in 1936 (before I was born) by my mother and father. Dad cut the pieces while mother sewed them together. It is HAND pieced. At the time, she was pregnant with my brother. I don't know why she never finished the quilt. However, it inspired me to learn to quilt. This was in1982, and I was still working. After my retirement, I took a quilting class, and since have been making quilts and hand quilting them in order to become good enough to finish the DWR. I currently have 2 tops that I am working on simultaneously (one that I am hand quilting and one that I am piecing). When I complete these, I plan to start quilting the DWR. In later life, mother was a professional seamstress so her work has always been immaculate. I only hope I can do the quilt justice. Can't you just imagine the quilt label on the back? "Top pieced by Mr. & Mr. JCB, in 1936. Quilted by their daughter BAR in 2011."