Old 03-21-2011, 06:45 AM
sewbizgirl
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I need some help please. I decided to try treadling. My machine will sew a few stitches and than the needle becomes unthreaded. The needle is new. I have taken the needle out to make sure that the flat side is on the right, just like the manual says. I have rethread it and made sure that I threaded it right to left. Both the top and the bottom thread seems to move smoothly. The machine has plently of oil. I just had it service by a vintage repair man. Does anyone have any idea of the the problem could be? Kathie
Yes! We have all gone through that -- it is called human error! Kathie, when I started treadling all I could do was go back and forth and break the top thread. I doubt if your machine is just becoming unthreaded - it probably is your treadling! You should practice without thread at first until you can start and stop without the machine taking a back turn - which is what breaks the top thread! If you put thread on the machine - you will get smoother as you practice, but your problem is very common when you first start to treadle -- it takes lots of practice! Hang in there and just keep practicing -- you will get better and better and the thread issue will go away!

Nancy
That was my first thought, too. When learning to treadle, you often let the wheel roll backwards, and if it makes the machine sew backwards it will break the thread. The old machines were made to go forward only, and the wheel rolling backwards will break that thread after about 2 sts. I'm still getting the hang of this myself, treadling on the Old Girl you see in my avatar.