View Single Post
Old 02-14-2009, 07:49 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

[quote=b.zangCan you post a picture of this? I think I can picture it in my mind, but a photo would speak much louder. I'm still pinning my quilts, but crawling around on the floor kills me and I find I get sloppy just to get off my hands and knees.
[/quote]

You mean a picture of my 4x4s? Actually, I'm not techie enough yet to know how to post pictures, plus I would have to find the 2x4s in our freezing garage. My setup is similar to old-time frames that quilters used, I think. There may be some resource on the web that has a picture of a similar setup; if I can find one, I will post it.

We just got the straightest 2x4s we could fine at the lumber yard. I used staples to attach doubled-over fabric to the frames -- maybe 8-10 inches of fabric doubled over to 4-5 inches extending beyond the wood. Used a Sharpie marker to mark the center of each wood piece, then marks every foot out to the ends. The markings help with both centering the backing on the cloth leaders and with clamping the 2x4s together so they're not all whacky. C-clamps are simple, inexpensive clamps you buy at the hardware store; just make sure they can handle a double thickness of 2x4s. A lot of my learning was trial and error once I had the 2x4s with leaders and the clamps.