View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 02:17 PM
Missy B

As a preamble to this topic, I need to tell you that I have been sewing since I was a kid (I'm 63 years old now). The first thing that I made was an apron, during a weekend that I stayed with my aunt while my folks were away. I guess that my Aunt Rose lit the fire in me, even though it would smolder for some years into the future. Much later when I was an adult, I used to work with a woman who was a prolific quilter and in fact, she made a quilt for me when I got married. I always admired my friend's quilts and the skills that went into making them. At the time, I was mad for making jig saw puzzles. They kept me busy in the evenings and kept me from "unauthorized" snacking, as well. At some point, it occurred to me that that if I could construct a puzzle, I could quilt. So, I took some classes and to this day, I am a quilter. I have never frgotten my aunt (since deceased) and how she started me on home sewing. So, a couple of years ago, I bought a sewing machine for MY niece, sort of paying my aunt's kindness forward. We meet occasionally to sew, but right now, my niece is in the throws of being a teenager and all that involves, so quilting will have to wait a while.