Thread: premie
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 04:49 AM
emsgranny

Originally Posted by pjaco
Any suggestions for a premie of 3.5 lbs, 16 inches long, how big should I make the quilt??
Is this your grandbaby or your baby? Congrats!!

My first grandchild was a preemie and weighed 3lb when she was born

As far as a quilt size I suggest making it regular size-Baby or maybe a little larger will grow into it in no time!!! If you make it a little larger than crib size it can be used on a toddler bed so at least they can use it until they are about 3! It also shows that there is a positive attitude that all willl be okay. If the baby is like ours, it will be in the hospital until around 5 pounds.

If you want to make something that can be used at the hospital be sure to check with staff-sometimes they wont let you bring blankets. If you can bring one I would just make something about the weight of a receiving blanket and maybe a little smaller. The little ones need to be wrapped up usually (depending on what type of tubes etc it needs and if they are in a warmer) If you make it the weight of a quilt, It will be hard to find the little one in it!!! I found our little DGD hard to hold because of her tiny size even in the receiving blankets Our DGD had a temperature regulation problem where she couldnt be wrapped too tight or with anything too heavy or she would spike a fever. Each baby needs are differnet.

Dont know all the circumstances, but I hope this helped. Best of luck to the little one and our prayers are with it to to fed and grow!! Keep us posted!!! Cheryl :-)