Old 02-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

My favorite hoop is a lap hoop that swivels on a wooden ball. Can't find mine online anymore; the one most similar to it is the Grace lap hoop.

Prior to the lap hoop I tried hand quilting using a regular hoop, hand quilting without a hoop, hand quilting on the PVC floor frame. With the regular hoop, I didn't like having to juggle the hoop while using both hands. Without a hoop, my stitches weren't as nice. The floor frame was too hard on my back.

I had also tried a lap hoop that did not have a swivel adjustment; the hoop was mounted on 3 supports. This was not nearly as nice as the one with the wooden ball swivel because the supports interfered with hand placement underneath.

I had also tried a relatively inexpensive floor standing hoop. Mine was both difficult in terms of trying to change an adjustment and in getting an adjustment to hold. More expensive floor standing hoops I'm sure have better systems for that. However, I also did not like the amount of floor space it needed and the awkwardness involved in either moving the hoop or moving myself around the floor part of the hoop.

In short, then, my highest recommendation is for a lap hoop that is mounted on a ball and that allows infinite adjustments in all directions. This kind of lap hoop really makes hand quilting a pleasure as long as the adjustments are easy to make and hold, because you can quickly change it to suit whatever angle and direction is easiest for you at the time. Also, it is quick and easy to set aside when you want to get up and move around.