Old 03-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Surfergirl

Originally Posted by Mamatron
I was wondering if you would buy a Featherweight that was in poor condition? The one i speak of is scratched up, missing some of the gold detail, and the biggest concern is that the belt has almost totally disintegrated and may or may not have gunked up the motor? It powers on and you can see the "thingy" spin but due to the belt's condition is does not move. Is $95 too much?
I wouldn't buy it due to the fact that it is all scratched up. That's the first thing I would look at...for me, it has to look good. The motors and bobbin case for the FW's are very expensive. Everything else can be dealt with very reasonably and you can do it all yourself. I have 4 FW's and have worked on them all and got them up and running. I bought my first one from Ebay and spent a total of $212...that was before I realized I could do better than that on Craigslist and from yard sales, where I purchased the other 3...one for $75, $40, and $30. All came with cases, original accessories and manual. They are out there in great shape and reasonably priced.

If you don't mind the appearance of this machine, and the motor is good and comes with the bobbin case, carrying case, etc, maybe you could made an offer and get it at a lower price. You don't have to take it out to be cleaned, etc, you really can do it all yourself. Good luck!