Old 03-22-2011, 08:13 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
WHEN did you decide to buy a LA?
Like HOW LONG were you involved in making quilts before you decided you NEEDED a LA?
Did you get tired of paying to have someone else quilt your quilts?
Did you want to start up a business to make money at it?
How long did it actually take to make the purchase? months? years?

Thanks
I was inspired by all the beautiful LA quilts I had seen at shows, on the internet and here on this board. Green Fairy had a very strong influence on me, but it will be years of LAing before I will be in her league, if I ever get there.

I first started considering in early 2009. I found a not so local QS that had an HQ16 set up that they offered training and rental time but because the shop was 1 1/2 hour drive for me rental time wasn't really a viable option. I just wanted to get a feel for what it was like so I took their training class in summer 2009.

I have been quilting since early 90's. At that point all I had done was hand quilting and only wallhangings and child size on my Bernina.

Researched on the net and found a dealer for Innova at a local quilt show in September 2009. At that point I knew I wanted one just couldn't bring myself to make the investment. Test drove the Innova at the quilt show and was totally sold on it.

I have only paid to have one quilt professionally LAed. Of course I chose Green Fairy to do it. Glad I got in before her waiting list got to be one year long!

I took delivery of my Innova in July 2010. So basically I saved, researched, dwelled on it and obssessed about it for a year.

Eventually I would like to make money at it. I am thinking a supplement to my retirement. In the mean time I do the beginners discount for people and don't make much money at all but it is enough to pay for thread and I am earning experience at the machine. I let potential customers know I am a total beginner and show them samples and they still entrust me with their quilts! That makes me feel good and I do my best. I think I will only get better with more time, more quilts and more experience.