View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 07:17 AM
mpspeedy

G,

I have been at this a long time. What I like most about quilting is the hand quilting part. I have done all of the rest, blocks, applique, paper peicing etc. etc. I have mastered relatively well every method but I am happiest when I am handquitling a wholecloth item or a cheater's panel. I find that I tend to zone out when it is necessary to do the tedious parts of quilting like cutting, basting and ironing. As a woman there are a lot of things I do in that manor. As a child I hated housework, dishes etc. I have learned to do eveything even the unpleasant tasks like cleaning up after a sick child or animal with my mind kind of tuned out. I love the feel of soft beautiful fabric and enjoy collecting. I have more fabric for more projects than I will live to complete. I am going shopping today to get more storage for my collection.
I like to have somekind of handwork usually quilting when I watch TV. I wish I could read while I do handwork as it is my second love.

My advice is to figure out what part of quilting you like best, perfect that skill and do as much of the other things as it takes to get you there. Sometimes I am amazed at what I have accomplished one minute at a time.