Old 03-22-2011, 02:22 PM
kwendt

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Originally Posted by kwendt
Guardsman is what we use to do the antique hardwood furnishings, railings, pews, and other curli cues in the old Lutheran church once a year. It's great stuff and a little goes a long way. I recommend the wipe on, not the spray - better for the environment and less waste of product.
He used a plastic squirter bottle. Is that the one you are refering to? Kathie
Probably. The spray cans are areosol. yuck. No mistaking them for what they are. The stuff I use is a rather pasty liquid... put some on a cloth, rub it on then use a clean cloth to buff it off. Guardsman has a couple different formulas. I know that we use the heavy duty stuff on that church (national historic place), and it cleans, preserves, and shines. Doesn't add to the build up of wax like say.. pledge would. That's cause it's cleaning the old stuff off, along with the years worth of grime. It also has a penetrant oil in it, so that the wood doesn't dry out.

But if a wood is really really thirsty, then I'd put a true oil polish on it first and let it soak it in. Teak oil for teak wood, linseed oil for other woods, lemon oil sometimes too. Depends. My method is 'trial by guessing'! I try a bit on each piece, to see what the wood likes. My cherry Baldwin piano from my grandmother, likes lemon oil - with a coat of Guardsman over the top. I suspect it has to do with finish on the piano.

There's a guy on here, Glenn, who is a professional refinisher. You can ask him your questions about wood, old cabinets, refinishing, polishing, etc. and he can give you better advice. Glenn?