Old 03-23-2011, 04:55 AM
loriemarrero

Hi everyone, I hope you don't mind that I say something here... I feel really sad about this conversation and I want to try to bring some helpful information to the discussion.

I am a home organization expert and as part of my career, I have chosen to give back by donating my time and efforts as the spokesperson for Goodwill Industries International. I have done spokesperson work for other companies like Staples, Microsoft, and Brother, but the work I do for Goodwill is from the heart and I have learned so much about the mission and how things work.

While we do provide affordable shopping, Goodwill’s mission is to provide job training, career placement and other community-based programs for people with disadvantages or disabilities. Our stores fund that mission. In fact, about 83 percent of store revenue is spent on these programs, which served more than two million people last year. That is nationwide, a collective percentage... some local Goodwills like the one in Austin where I live funnel 89% right back into the mission!

The allegiance here is to the mission, there is not some kind of obligation to the community that the prices be set at a certain level... that is really determined by each Goodwill agency, and they are operated autonomously. Obviously they want to set those prices to be competitive in their own local markets so that they can sell more and earn more for the mission. Most Goodwills compare prices with similar stores in their areas regularly, and if these prices aren't in line with those stores I'm sure they'd like to know.

My suggestion is that when you see something that seems out of line, you speak with that store's manager rather than get upset at Goodwill in general. This organization is made up of thousands of people all over the country, and some of them are not always going to get things right, and that can only be corrected with appropriate feedback.

Thanks for letting me say something here. I know all the good that has been done-- for over 100 years-- both for the community and the environment by Goodwill being around. I hope you'll reconsider your opinions!

Cheers and best wishes,
Lorie