View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 06:58 AM
milp04

Hi Kathy, What a wonderful picture of wildlife.

What you need to do is to make an outline drawing of the wildlife picture you would like for your quilt. The outline should include important features where you would have a change of fabric. Once you're satisfied with the outline drawing then you decide how big you want that to be for your quilt top. Then you'll enlarge your outline drawing. When doing this on a printer you will get several sheets of regular paper that you'll need to tape together for your actual size pattern. I would also make at least two copies. One to have up on your wall, one the small size at your table and when sewing for reference and note taking, and at least one to cut up for pattern use.

Typically they would appear in the center of the bed. You'll work up a design layout with measurements. Then decide what blocks or design you want the remaining part of the quilt to be including the sashing and borders.

I would look at other quilt patterns that include wildlife. The other types of patterns are ones that include a large medallion in the middle which you would replace with the wildlife picture.

Also some quilt tops are just the wildlife picture and typically include a border that frames the wildlife area and then outside borders. Sometimes the design goes outside the framing border and can be quite unique.

I hope these suggestions are of some help. Good luck with your quilt project. Please keep us updated on your progress of your project with pictures if possible.

Pam M