View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 12:00 PM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Dont look at where you are at (where the needle is) look where you are going. Have you ever shot pool? If you look at the pocket you want to sink the ball into rather then the ball you are hitting you will hit your target (that pocket) a lot more often. How about when you drive? You are looking down the road a ways not right in front of the hood of the car. It is the same with LAing.

I found that if I spend more time looking where I want to go and not look at where I am my back tracking is a lot better. Even the best LA quilters will stray off the line when back tracking. No one is that perfect, some are better then others and sometimes it just boils down to having a better day then others. If you see LA work with perfect backtracking I will guarantee you it is computer generated and not hand guided.

Tension issues: Well compared to a domestic sewing machine you most definitely have to adjust both top and bobbin tension a lot more. I call it futzing with the tension. But with my particular machine, I find I only have to do the occasional tweak now and then if I notice the stitches not being up to my high standards as I am quilting.

Wouldn't be without a stitch regulator. As you go fast the machines needle goes fast. As you go slow the needle slows down. Love my SR. Don't know why anyone would turn it off but loads of pros do. Not sure why.

I have no regrets. I have read about some who are afraid of the machine once they get it. I was worried about that so made sure I jumped in with both feet on mine and try to quilt anything BUT a meander. I want to be fully versed in other techniques and don't want to get stuck in a rut. I have read about many many LAers who won't do anything but an all over meander, afraid to step out of their comfort zone. Such a shame.

A LA is a big expense. You are right to be concerned. I had to dwell on the purchase for over a year before I finally took the plunge. So glad I did. Ya only live once and life is short!!