View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Rose L

1.I am wondering from other LA quilters, how do you control the free-flying movement when you want to backtrack over stitching? Do you brace you elbows at your sides or are there settings to have more control over machine movement.

I let my arms hang loosely at my side. It takes some practice when you're first starting out to teach yourself to relax. I have an older Grace frame with a metal carriage upgrade and mine moves smoothly but it's not like a puck on glass when moving around. I have to use some effort to make it move. Personally I think smoother movement would improve my stitching rather than make it more wild and difficult.

2. Many say they have tension problems to overcome. Is that an issue on LA's?

I have a Bailey 17 Pro. I have never had any tension issues and have been able to use all threads that I've tried so far, even very cheap and very old garage sale threads.

3. Why would you choose to quilt without the stitch regulator on? Is it because you can go faster, slower, more control??

I bought the stitch regulator with my machine. I've never tried to use the machine without it and I have no intention of ever NOT using it.

4. Is there any LA purchaser that had buyer's remorse. I see how thrilled many LA quilters are with there purchase but haven't heard any negative feedback.

No remorse on my part. I did not buy a top of the line machine just because of that possibility. At this point I am wanting to invest a little more into my system and add on a robot (computerized stitching system) so that I can get more uniformity in doing specific patterns on blocks and in bindings rather than to rely on myself for getting the scale correct throughout. I have forced myself to do learn to do it on my own just in case but would now like the freedom to use a robot and increase the speed at which I can complete a quilt.

5. If it is not going to be used for a business, can the costs be justified?

In my case I think the cost is justified. While at this point I am not doing quilts for anyone besides my self I do always have that option. It can cost between $100-$300 to have a quilt machine quilted in my area, depending on size and what you how you want it quilted. At the $300 price tag my setup will pay for it's self in ten quilts. To me it was worth the investment. I do hand quilt also but there are many quilts that I make that I just don't want to invest that kind of time in.

I bought a used Grace frame @ $500 and spent less than $2200 on my Baily set up with all the bells and extras. Not bad for starting out IMHO. Good luck with your decision!

Rose L