Thread: quilting batiks
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 12:54 PM
quiltease

When I was in the quilt shop getting new needles I flipped through a book on machine quilting. It said to use Egyptian cotton thread. I bought two small spools. One for the top and the other (a bit darker) for the bobbin. I also read online yesterday that if you mix one part fabric softener with two parts water and spray it on the batik that should help. SO...I have my new needles, new thread and the poor batiks have been doused with the softener solution. Once it's dry it's back onto the frame and......
I have the first generation Inspira frame. It's obvious why they changed the whole thing. Vibration is a problem, even after my boyfriend put more screws and nuts and whatevers everywhere. The pantographs are placed on a shelf above the frame, which I LOVE (don't need my glasses to see) BUT the center of the shelf (which is in two pieces) gets pulled down by gravity until it's so low that it hits the machine. I've braced it with muffin tins, rulers, a long plank of wood, you name it. I purchased it with the Pfaff, and splurged on the stitch regulator. I already had a grace frame (which has been redesigned and will cost over $200.00 to update mine)so I knew the basics.
Sorry about the babble, I'm waiting for the qult to dry.
Again, thank you for all the help. I'll let you all know tomorrow whether it worked or whether I'm going to have to quilt around the batiks. Yikes!
But for now the quilt top smells "April Fresh". Looks like I'll have to wash it once it's quilted.
bev.