Old 03-23-2011, 03:23 PM
cabbagepatchkid

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Yesterday I finally took out my Singer 28, determined to get her up and running. I'm really happy how she turned out. I still need to find out how to thread it but the hand crank works s-o-o-o smoothly. It really helped to be able to read through Billy's thread on fixing up the vintage machines while I was doing this.

Here are some before and after pics:
Cabbagepatchkid, you did a great job cleaning up that machine! Did you use Billy's spa treatment or did you try something else? Please tell us -- it looks like you did not hurt the decals at all!

Nancy
I have been without internet since I woke up on Monday morning :shock: . Verizon sent me a new router (sp?) Talk about withdrawal...LOL!

I used Billy's tutorial to help me take some of the different parts off. I was nervous about it but he made it look easy and it WAS!
The only thing I didn't take apart is the tension knob and I think I will give that a try, too.

I used sewing machine oil to clean the machine. I slathered it on, rubbed it around and then let it set for awhile before wiping it off. I did that twice. Then I used No. 7 Chrome & Metal Polish on the shiny parts. It was just like polishing the holiday silverware :-D. I also used it on the Singer emblem and it worked well for that, too.

After I was done cleaning it I gave it a Turtle Wax. Let it dry and then buffed it up. I can't believe how nice it came out!

I haven't actually threaded it yet (need to look up a manual for it) but the bobbin shuttle moves just fine and when I turn the crank handle the feed dogs move the fabric through.